Sunday, March 15, 2015

Thanks Mom

When I talk about my memorable early museum moments, I talk about my experiences at the American Museum of Natural History (New York), the Royal Ontario Museum (Toronto), and the Rijksmuseum (Amsterdam).  I could also talk about my mother, Claire.  My mom is the person who schlepped me to every museum I attended until I was probably 8 or 10 years old, and believe me when I tell you, that was a LOT of museum visits.  So, on the occasion of her birth, which is a pretty significant milestone corresponding to the Second World War in the Netherlands (also the place of her birth), I want to say "thank you" for all that schlepping !

My mom comes from a long line of Dutch culture and history lovers, educators, and intellectuals, so it's not surprising that she grew up steeped in art, culture, galleries, museums, theatre and such.  From before I was speaking in sentences, I was thrown headlong into the world where I'd end up building this career.  No matter what challenges life threw at my mom, she found time to share this wonderful world, it's diversity, history, technology, and beauty with me.  I still cherish these outings with her, though they happen far less frequently due to geographical separation, and we often make due with richly plated art books on the sofa, when I come home for a brief visit.

Here's a recent selfie of us, taken at the ROM, after a wonderful, museumish day.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CLAIRE !


No comments:

Post a Comment