Thursday, June 23, 2016

Where Credit's Due


Here's a terrible screenshot from the Vanastra episode of Still Standing taken with my phone.

About eleven months ago, I consulted with a major motion picture studio to provide information on Cold War radar.  The researcher found Secrets of Radar Museum (and therefore, me) and I helped her find the information she needed.  It was a lot of fun and I'd love to do more of it, but I can't help be a little disappointed that neither the museum nor I received a credit line.  Especially with a movie of this size (you might have heard of it, X-Men: Apocalypse) and a captive audience waiting for a post-credit teaser, it would have been really great exposure. 

Which is why I am very happy that CBC's quirky TV stand-up comedy show Still Standing did provide credits for both SoRM and myself for the work we did helping to fact-check their recent Vanastra, Ontario epidsode.  We also put the studio in touch with a spry Second World War veteran, Jim Sands, who was able to make the trip across the province to participate.  I am very grateful that Still Standing made the effort to thank those who helped.  Sure, it won't get the viewership of an X-Men movie, but it matters.  So thanks, CBC and Frantic Films !

You can watch the Vanastra episode of Still Standing here.  It's 22 entertaining and fascinating minutes about one of the strangest, coolest little communities in Ontario.  

And, if you're looking for someone to provide some history research for your project, I am looking to do more !

No comments:

Post a Comment