Monday, June 22, 2015

CAHS Convention Photo Round-up

In my last post, I talked briefly about the pleasure of presenting at the Canadian Aviation Historical Society annual convention and let me follow-up by saying the whole event was terrific.  Aviators, historians, retired (and serving) Air Force personnel, museum staff, and aircraft restorers all came together to learn about this country's incredible aviation history.  Canada has had an enormous impact on the global aviation sector from its infancy right through the 20th century.  I can't possibly talk about everything I learned or the people I met, but I can share some photos.  I also had the most incredible experience of spending two hours with a 99-year-old radar veteran living in Hamilton, ON.  If only I'd remembered my tape recorder.

I had a behind-the-scenes tour of the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum's Bolingbroke restoration project.  That poster is a one-of-a-kind original.

I finally had an opportunity to tour "Vera" the CWHM's Mynarski Memorial Lancaster, which was built by A.V. Roe at Toronto's Victory Aircraft Ltd. site in Malton.  This was definitely a highlight.

A fascinating presentation on the secret projects carried out by Avro in the 1950s, not just the "Arrow".

"Vera" in the hangar at the CWH Museum.

A presentation about Vi Milstead, who led a very interesting career in aviation at a time when few women were flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment